Message from John Carter

This blog is rated R and is not appropriate for people under the age of 18. If you are offended by gay content, please move on and read some other blog.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wrestling a bigger guy

I'm a lightweight.  I don't mean that in a figurative sense.  I mean I don't weigh a hell-of-a-lot.  And in this world that means I usually wrestle guys who are way bigger than me.

Take last week.

A friend of mine was in town and we got together for a couple of matches.  He weighs around 210.  Me?  A modest 145.

How'd it go?

Not bad.  He cut me some slack because he's a cool guy but he also didn't just lay there.  We really went at it.  I like being able to work him from the top position and try to turn him.  And I was able to throw in some head-locks that won me a tap out.  But when he got on top of me.  Jeez it was impossible to get him off. 

Here are a few things to keep in mind, you smaller guys, when wrestling your larger buds:

1.  Don't try and out-muscle him.  He's bigger than you.  Avoid tie-ups and go for a take-down (if you're wrestling on mats) or if on a bed, try and get behind him as fast as possible.  Lock on his neck and hold on.

2.  When you get taken down and he's on top, try and work on one of his arms.  Don't lock hands with him or try and push him off.  Instead, try and isolate one of his arms with both of yours and then go for an arm bar.  If you've got the technique, let him get in close and throw your legs up around his neck. 

Good luck in your next match.  My next one won't be until next week.  CYA





 

No comments:

Post a Comment