Message from John Carter

This blog is rated R and is not appropriate for people under the age of 18. If you are offended by gay content, please move on and read some other blog.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wrestling With No Experience

Image from www.man2manalliance.org.

Wrestling another man can be an intimidating experience, especially if you have never wrestled before.  A lot of gay men have never wrestled--didn't wrestle in high school or college--and have no knowledge of how to wrestle another guy.  Wrestling is a skill, but only if you are truly competing.  In the world of gay wrestling it is far more important to have the will and the passion.

Most of the guys that I have wrestled over the years had never wrestled before.  They just want to try it, and they understood that I had not wrestled a lot before too.  On occasion I have run into someone who had a great deal of experience but they understood that my skills were not as good as theirs.  Even in jui jitsu class or wrestling practice when I've wrestled straight guys, they have adjusted their skills to my level so that I could learn rather than be hurt.

The point I am trying to make is that you should not let your fear hold you back from attempting to wrestle.  Even if you are not in perfect shape, don't have a god-like body, you should not let that hold you back.  Try it. 

One of the first times I ever wrestled a guy, I was extremely nervous about it.  The guy was very handsome, just the sort of guy I find attractive - my size - but I just could not really do much.  I wish that I had talked to him first rather than just diving in.  Talking diffuses the tension and fear and will serve to reassure you that it is going to be fun.  Tell your opponent what you want.  If he's a nice guy-and most are- he'll try to accommodate you. 

Now get out there and wrestle!

No comments:

Post a Comment