Message from John Carter

This blog is rated R and is not appropriate for people under the age of 18. If you are offended by gay content, please move on and read some other blog.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Building a wrestler's body


One of my ambitions for the last twenty years has been to build the kind of body I felt a wrestler should have.  This has not been an easy task.  I was always a small guy.  I'm only 5' 7" and when I got out of college I weighed in at only 125 lbs. 

But over the years since I've thrown myself at weight rooms and running in an attempt to redefine myself as a wrestler.  Of course, during much of that time I had NO ONE to wrestle.  In fact for many years my main motivation was to at least be in shape should I ever get a chance to wrestle.  Then, about five years ago I found the website globalfights.com and all of my dreams started to come true.  Since then I've wrestled around fifty guys. 

Several guys have written me lately and asked me about how I get into shape and stay there.  So I thought I'd give you an overview of my workout schedule. 

My week is defined by working out.  Monday through Friday I get up at five in the morning and run two miles.  When I return home, I do 100 crunches with a 30 lb weighted ball on my chest, 50 bicycles, and 50 knee raises.  In April that came to around 3000 abs exercises and 36 miles of running.

On Mondays and Thursdays, I work my legs and lower body.  I use a hex bar with two forty-five pound weights to do squats, lunges with twenty-five or thirty pound weights, squats on the smith machine, squats on the squat machine, leg extensions, and then squats on the nautilus.  I also do around 100 calve raises. 

On Tuesday I work chest and arms.  I typically do bench presses with barbells instead of using the bench press machine.  I like free weights best, and I find this stresses me a lot more than anything else.  I then do incline presses, flies, over-head presses, and cable flies.  Then I do tricep pull-downs starting with 60 lbs, then up to 70, 80, 90, 100 (three sets at 100) and then five reps each at 100, 90, 80, 70, 60 until I want to scream.  Then it's on to arm curls, hammer curls, and assorted other arms exercises.

Friday is shoulders and back.  I do standing shoulder presses, Arnold presses, front raises, deltoid raises, shrugs, ball raises, various exercises with a Bulgarian bag, rows, etc.

Eating right is also a huge part of my work out.  I cook a big pot of brown rice and veggies every Sunday along with grilled or baked chicken and divide it up into containers so I have my lunches all week.

Of course, I still like to eat out and I like a glass of wine.  I figure with all that working out if I can't enjoy myself then what's the damned point. 

So, there you are.  Dedicated or compulsive?  You decide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment