Message from John Carter

This blog is rated R and is not appropriate for people under the age of 18. If you are offended by gay content, please move on and read some other blog.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

College Wrestling

I'm not sure how many of you guys watch or follow college wrestling, but I do, and  can tell you that this time of year, I begin to miss the excitement of the division I matches.  In the photo above, we see a match from 2008 in which Mark Perry (the guy without the facial modifications) is about to turn over Eric Tannenbaum of Michigan and win an NCAA championship.  In 2008, Mark wrestled for Iowa.  He has since gone on to coach.

College wrestling in the United States is what is called folkstyle or school-boy wrestling.  This is a distinct type of wrestling that is only practiced here in the US (and some of Canada).  The rest of the world practices what's called freestyle wrestling.  Folkstyle emphasizes the takedown (getting your opponent off his feet and onto his hands and knees) and dominance.  You are rewarded for how long you can ride an opponent - keeping him from escaping and getting back to his feet.  You also get points for turning your opponent's back to the mat, and - of course - you win immediately if you push his shoulders to the mat (a pin).

Schools are divided up into Division I, II, and III schools.  A school like the University of Iowa is a Division I school.  The University of Wisconsin at LeCrosse is a Division III school (I think).  Each year, wrestlers compete in what are known as dual matches - two teams of wrestlers.  Each team has a wrestler in the various weight classes.  For college the classes are 125, 133, 141, 149, 157, 165, 174, 184, and heavyweight.  I personally love the light-weight guys.



I can actually get pretty damned excited watching a college wrestling match.  And I mean that I get excited in every sense of the word.  When I watch a kid whom I've been following for years, I'm almost breathless with anticipation during a match - especially if he's wrestling someone who has a chance of beating him.  There is an element of sexual tension (to me) in a match when I watch as some young stud is held helpless before a crowd of his fans.  When he is turned over onto his back, struggling helplessly to escape, and at the mercy of his opponent, my heart is beating like a trip hammer.  And my cock is hard as a rock.

I've never really been turned on by pro wrestling.  It is too obviously fake to trip my switch.  I don't really enjoy watching wrestling videos where the guys are just going through the motions.  I much more enjoy a match where the guys know a little about wrestling and are really trying to submit each other.  I need to see the struggle, the sweat, the domination of one guy over the other.  The abject humiliation as one is beaten  and left on the mats, totally spent.

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog! Point of clarification on your latest post. You are correct that collegiate, or folkstyle, wrestling is what you see in the NCAA schools. What you witness at the high school level is a modified version of the style used in college. There is no riding time awarded in high school, and all three periods in high school are two minutes each versus a first period of three minutes in college followed by two two minute periods.

    Appreciate your reflections on wanting to wrestle and finally gathering up the courage to do it as a middle aged man. It's unfortunate that so many gay men were prohibited from wrestling in middle and high school by perceived homophobia or internal homophobia.

    If you ever get to Wisconsin and want to rumble, let me know. Global profile is lghtwtwrestle and have coaching experience and lots of folkstyle and freestyle experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrestling is a great sport and I wa sinvolved with it for 5 years in college (Div III). Now I do jiujitsu at the local MMA GYM 3-4 times a week and it is a thrilling experience as well. Live in San Diego and can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete