Message from John Carter

This blog is rated R and is not appropriate for people under the age of 18. If you are offended by gay content, please move on and read some other blog.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Here We Go

He looks like an Abercrombie & Fitch model, doesn't he?  Now, I'm not really into diving, but I wouldn't mind helping this young guy towel off. 

So, anyway, here I am, sitting at my iMac once again, wondering if a virus is masquerading as Adobe and thinking that I could be wrestling this weekend, but I'm not.  I was planning on driving over to Oklahoma to do some wrestling.  I'd even set up a meeting with a guy.  Or, I thought I'd set up a meeting with a guy.  Okay, let me explain.  And maybe there's some sort of lesson in this for us all.

I contacted a guy who lives over near Oklahoma City a few weeks ago and asked him if he'd be interested in wrestling if I came over his way.  He responded that he was very interested and asked if he could speak to me.  I sent him my phone number and he started texting me. 

We texted back and forth over a few days, and we ironed out all the details of when I'd be in town and where we'd meet.  About a week passed, and I assumed that our plans were all finalized.

Then I got an email from him via globalfight in which he asked if I would come to Oklahoma to wrestle him.  I responded that yes, I was coming, in about two weeks.

Then he wrote back and asked when I was coming and where I might be staying.

It occurred to me that the text conversations had been completely forgotten.  In fact, he didn't even remember that I was the guy he'd texted with.  (yeah, I know: with whom he'd texted)

So, I did not drive all the way to Oklahoma to wrestle him.  I was afraid that I'd drive all that way and he wouldn't even remember who I was.

I'm not mad.  No need for that.  Just a little perplexed, that's all.  Are electronic communications really so nebulous, so fly-away and disposable, that they mean absolutely nothing?  Naw, that can't be true.  I text and email with guys all the time, and they take the messages seriously.

Maybe it's a generational thing?  The guy was quite a bit younger than me.  Maybe to guys in their twenties, nothing has weight unless it's right there in front of them.  Instant gratification.  Anything that involves a waiting period is not worth retaining? 

Or maybe this guy just isn't that bright?

What do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. If I were to meet up with a guy I met online, John, I would meet up with him in a public place such as a cafe where there were other ppl around. I'd do this bc there are a lot of strange ppl out there and I'd need to check him out first.

    Maybe I'm over reacting but that's what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very good idea, actually. Especially if you have not done much wrestling with guys online. However, here's another idea. If you find a guy you want to wrestle, write me and tell me his name (his online name). I can check with my friends and see if anyone knows him. That way you might be able to get some personal references first. Better safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete