Message from John Carter

This blog is rated R and is not appropriate for people under the age of 18. If you are offended by gay content, please move on and read some other blog.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Gaining Weight

Yeah, I realize that in our fat-saturated, super-sized America, a guy lamenting that he can't gain weight is akin to that British writer who recently lamented that she was too pretty.  But the truth is that I am too damned thin.  And not just thin.  I'm sort of insubstantial.  I weighed 142 pounds on June 12th.  Now, I weight 146.  I'm struggling to get up to 155 pounds.  That's where I'm headed.

Why am I going on about this?  I wrestled two guys this past weekend and really had a hard time with it.  They were both very competitive, and I lost my matches.  It sort of pissed me off.  I work out constantly and I eat right, but I am just not a big guy. 

I mentioned in my last post that I was upping my weights. And I have been.  Getting enough exercise has never been a problem for me.  I work out four times a week, plus I run in the mornings before work, plus I do 200 crunches and 60 push-ups (or pull-ups) before work.  I work out.  But I don't get a lot bigger.  I get cut, but don't add size.

So, I downloaded an app to my iPhone called Livestrong (from Livestrong.com).  This app lets you determine the amount of calories you need to take in to gain weight (or lose weight).  You enter the food that you eat during the day for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, and you enter the exercise that you do.  The app figures out the amount of calories you've ingested and expended and tells you how many you have left to go.

I am supposed to take in 2,513 calories a day.  That may not seem like a lot since a single entree at Olive Garden can contain around 1,000 calories, but I don't eat at Olive Garden.  I fix my own food for the most part--lunches, dinners, and breakfasts--and I am trying to take in "good" calories.  I mean, I haven't resorted to a tub of Ben and Jerry's.  Instead I've concentrated on egg whites, protein drinks, baked chicken breasts, and fresh vegetables.  That is why it's so damned tough.  Those foods do not contain huge amounts of calories.

I mean, take breakfast: four egg whites (420 calories), two pieces of dry Health Nut Whole Wheat Bread (200 calories), a bowel of Great Grains Cereal (200 calories).  That's only 820 calories.  I've added a bottle of Monster Milk protein drink (350) and that helps.  But I have to maintain that during the day.  Sometimes I feel like I'm going to explode.

Anyway, I'm working at it.  I've never been heavier than 150 in my life, so can I reach 155?  I don't know but I'm going to try.  And the stud in the pic at the top of this post?  That's the look I'm going for.  That's why I've got to eat protein-rich, low fat foods and lift heavier weights.  I don't want to look like Tom Hardy as Bane in the new Batman. Did you see how he looked with his shirt off?  Not cool, Bane.  Not cool. 

2 comments:

  1. I just clicked on your profile to find that you're 5'7". Your weight seems pretty consistent with a fit 5'7" male. I have trouble gaining too, but I've come to trust my body's "voice" ad I listen closely to it. I only eat when I'm hungry; sometimes that meal is HUGE! A trainer at my gym advised me to eat before bed in order to store calories overnight. He told me that he usually advises people to NOT do this, but that it seemed different in my case. Keep eating healthy foods and do lots of resistance training with less time spent doing "cardio"training...you'll soon start "morphing". Good luck, John.

    ReplyDelete