Message from John Carter

This blog is rated R and is not appropriate for people under the age of 18. If you are offended by gay content, please move on and read some other blog.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Looking for that Pump

That's me after about three weeks of my new and (hopefully) improved work-out and eating routine.  It has been a hard week of working out, and, as is usual with me, nutrition has been a lot harder to handle than the actual work outs.

My weight fluctuated all week long between 146.5 and 147.5 - I have not made it to 148.  Part of the reason I have not gone up in weight is that (according to my Livestrong app) I am expending more calories than I am taking it.  I need to increase the amount of calories I take in by another 600-1,000.  That's a lot of calories for a 5'7" guy to eat.

I'm going to try my best to increase my caloric intake this coming week and I will continue to cut down on the amount of running I am doing.  I was running five times a week - I've cut that back to two or three.

Several guys have written me an asked me to describe my work outs in a little more detail, so I'll do that.  I guess the best way to do that would be to contrast what I was doing with what I am doing now.

Let's take standing barbell shrugs.

For the last several years I have performed shrugs with a fifty-five pound weight in each arm.  And I have done three sets of ten reps.  That's it.  Boy was I in a rut!

Now, I start with 60 pounds and do 10 reps, up to 65 and do ten reps, up to 70 and do 10 reps, and up to 75 and do 8 reps.

Then I work my way back down with five reps of 70, 65, 60, and 55.

As you can see, that is a great improvement on what I was doing not only in the amount of weight but also in the intensity.  By the time I get back down to those 55's I am really getting worn out.

I do that sort of thing on biceps, on my chest, on shoulder presses, legs and dead lifts, too.  Although not all on the same day.  I generally hit a couple of major muscle groups all on one day - like shoulders and back.  Then I do about eight or nine different exercises on those muscle groups by running the weight rack.

Now, I am sure there are a ton of guys out there who do heavier weights than me, but like I've said.  I'm working on going up.  I need another week and I'll take everything up another five pounds.


As for wrestling, I don't have any matches lined up right now, except a few when I go to Atlanta in September.  I am looking forward to those matches - hopefully I'll be in great shape and ready to roll. 

In the meantime, you guys out there - hit the gym and let's wrestle!

1 comment: