Message from John Carter

This blog is rated R and is not appropriate for people under the age of 18. If you are offended by gay content, please move on and read some other blog.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Progress

The whole gain-weight/gain-mass thing has been going on for about three-and-a-half-months.  The lifting is going great.  I'm stronger.  Lifting heavier weights.

But the weight gain is tough.

I was stuck at 150 pounds for weeks.  Then when I changed my work outs, I started gaining weight again.  But, here's the weird thing: about a week ago I was at 154 (just a pound short of my goal).  I didn't eat right over Saturday and Sunday, and by Monday morning, I weighed 151 pounds.

I have to eat like a maniac all the time to maintain the weight, and frankly, I'm getting sick of it.

I'm getting to the point where eating is a chore.  Sometimes I joylessly shove food in my mouth and chew, even though I'm not hungry at all.  It sort of sucks.

So, I have decided to back off on the massive amounts of protein.  Maybe my body just isn't built to go to 155?

Here's my current work-out schedule:

Monday:  Squats
                Bench presses  (flat and then incline)
                Bench flys
                Deadlifts

Wednesday:  Squats
                      Shoulder presses/Military presses
                      Front raises
                      Deltoid raises
                      Shrugs

Friday:  Squats
              Bench presses (flat and incline)
              Bench flys
              Deadlifts

The next week I do shoulders on Monday and Friday.

When I work these exercises, I do five sets:

1.  Relatively light
2.  Heavier weight
3.  Heaviest possible
4.  Heaviest possible
5.  Light to exhaustion

Using this system, I've increased all my weights.  So, I'm getting stronger.  But, like I said, the whole weight-gain thing is exhausting.  I've started running again on Tuesday and Thursday mornings - and I still do 400 abs crunches every morning before work.

The problem is that I don't think I'm building the body I want.  As is typical with me (and a lot of smaller guys) when I pack on the protein, I also pack on the weight around my mid-section.   Running used to keep that off, but to gain weight I backed off on the running.  Now, I'm back at it and hoping to lean up some.  I will continue to work out hard and I will still attempt to eat lots of protein.  But I am not going to kill myself with the eat-six-times-a-day approach.  It's just too much for me.

Now, don't get the impression that I'm discouraged.  I'm not.  It's just that I think this is part of the process. I have to learn how to mold my body.  Eating is absolutely 90% of it, but I've got to figure out how to eat where I get the protein I need, but where I don't feel like I want to explode all the time.
Any suggestions?   


               



No comments:

Post a Comment